Which CHOST?

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 20:39:00 GMT 2010

On 10/11/2010 02:21 PM, Al wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is the current CHOST?

I'm not sure what you meant by CHOST - it's not an environment variable
that I'm familiar with.  Who expects it to be set?  Did you mean target
triplet?

> It is i686-pc-cygwin1.7 according to this posting from Eric:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html

That patch was rejected upstream.

Running config.guess on cygwin 1.7.7 still intentionally produces:

i686-pc-cygwin

> If I set the CHOST to i686-pc-cygwin1.7 I have troubles with some
> builds for example libiconv, gettext and zlib.

Supplying bogus target triplets to build machinery programs is not
recommended.  Many configure programs (mistakenly) compare $host or
$host_os (the autoconf names for the full target triplet and the third
member of the triplet) against the pattern cygwin, rather than the glob
cygwin*; and while those programs should probably be fixed upstream,
they at least have the justification that they match the current
config.guess program output, and that you probably shouldn't have
supplied a triplet that wasn't documented in config.guess in the first
place.