Bash Completion Install/Configure ; was: Re: Bash problems, strace, performance, etc.

Lee D. Rothstein l1ee057@veritech.com
Sat Oct 23 22:43:00 GMT 2010

  On 10/22/2010 5:47 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
 > On 10/22/2010 03:41 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
 >> On 10/22/2010 12:32 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
 >>> On 21 October 2010 22:22, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:

The original complaint which is now solved (I think) had nothing
to do with Bash completion. Cyrille brought it up, and it's
become a crimson (not just red ;-)) herring. (I am grateful to
"Ducky" on "NCIS" for explaining that obscure idiom to me. ;-)).

I understood before my posts, during my posts, and after my posts
(;-), that enabling Bash completion requires editing the startup
scripts. The situation, with Bash completion install, as it
exists, is fine, IMHDIO.

I install everything on my system because there are so few things
I don't want, that's its easier to remember to install everything
and then not invoke/configure/load, that which I don't want. My
only complaint would be if the maintainer somehow updated my
customized startup scripts. And, that has/will never likely
happene(d), because Cygwin maintainers are users and aware of the
consequences of such rash actions.  :-|, 8-)

My only vote would be for an option to NOT skip library updates in
'setup.exe', but suggestions about 'setup' without the willingness
and ability to make them one's own self, are usually met with calls
for crucifixion.  Alas, I don't have the ability, and object to the
latter on religious, if not personal grounds. ;-)

Thanks,

Lee