SSH - Can't Login (3rd Post)

J.C. Wren jcwren@jcwren.com
Fri Oct 29 11:03:00 GMT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 10:37 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
>>
>> The ssh command and its response are just a cut and paste of the bash
>> screen.
>> Trying to execute ssh -v ncc-1701 gives exactly the same results (note
>> there
>> is no -v option in the displayed list).
>
> $ ssh wilson@ncc-1701
> usage: ssh [-1246AaCfgKkMNnqsTtVvXxYy] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec]...
>                                ^
> There it is. ;-)
>
> I really didn't doubt that you cut and paste the output once I looked at
> it but I'm glad you confirmed it.
>
>> I've attached a new cygcheck output (-svr) as you suggested.  One thing I
>> noted was that the uname -a output says I have Cygwin 1.7.1 and this
>> confuses me.  I've updated on a regular basis and reboot whenever the
>> installation requests me to do so.  I should have the 1.7.7-1 release.
>>  The
>> cygcheck seems to have differing 1.7* information.  Is there some magic
>> translation I need to know of to get the correct release number?
>
> No, if it's reporting 1.7.1, I expect that's the version you're running.
> And I expect that's coming into play here.  But go ahead and double check
> it in the Windows explorer.  I expect you'll find it reports 1.7.1 too.
>
> This is a problem.  I expect you know that you need to stop all your
> services before an upgrade in order to get the new DLL moved into place
> immediately, right?  If you don't do this, it will queue up the move for
> next reboot.  My guess is you've rebooted at least once since installing
> 1.7.x > 1.7.1 but it's possible things have gotten gummed up if you didn't
> and have since done other upgrades (that's pure theory though).  What's
> not is that you have ZoneAlarm installed that is known to cause problems.
> I'd recommend unstalling it, stopping all Cygwin services (cron, cygserver,
> httpd2, and sshd), reinstall the Cygwin package, and then restart the
> services.  You should find this process gives you a current cygwin1.dll
> in '/bin'.  If not, we need to look at the results of the installation
> process (and/or for <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> ).
>
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

> A: Yes.
>>
>> Q: Are you sure?
>>>
>>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

I'm pretty convinced there's something going on (or NOT going on...)
during the upgrade process.  I've seen this report of someone doing a
setup and still having an old cygwin1.dll, it's happened to me (see
thread regarding svn metadata name mangling), and I've had someone
email me about the name mangling issue (who didn't want to post to the
list) discover he had a downlevel version of the cygwin1.dll file
also.

There's also the additional evidence of finding a half dozen or so
files ending in .new /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.  Perhaps Microsoft had a
hotfix or somesuch that might have affected Cygwin when it needs to do
a replace files on boot thing.  I have no idea how that's implemented,
so that's speculation, of course.

--jc