export DISPLAY={localWorkstationIP} in mintty

Jeremy Bopp jeremy@bopp.net
Thu Sep 2 21:45:00 GMT 2010

On 9/2/2010 4:34 PM, PaulHR wrote:

> Is there anyway to get the IP address from the local workstation, running
> mintty, and putting the local workstation IP address into the export DISPLAY
> command running on a different mintty shell, running on a server e.g.
>

> export DISPLAY={localWorkstationIP}
>

> Or, is there a way to get the local workstation IP address in a mintty
> shell, to a remote server, in such a fashion that it can be used in the
> export command like above?
>

> I am trying to get my xWindows export setup automatically when I sign on.

If you're still connecting to the remote systems with SSH, you can allow
SSH to tunnel the X connection for you using the -X option to the ssh
client you use to make your connection.  The remote DISPLAY variable
then automatically points to something which does effectively what you need.

-Jeremy