1.7.5: Occasional failure of CreatePipe or signal handing due to thread-unsafe code in cwdstuff::set

Sat Sep 4 09:28:00 GMT 2010

On Sep  3 17:36, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 3 September 2010 08:37, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I still don't like the final workaround, which is, to set the Win32 CWD
> > to the Cygwin CWD.  It would be nice if we could revert that change to
> > the pre-1.7.6 behaviour in a Vista-friendly way.  If you ever find out
> > how to make sure that the new handle in the PEB's user parameter block
> > is used even on Vista and later, pray tell me.
>
> I haven't got the magic bullet of course, but since we do have a way
> to make Win32-using programs work with just a relink, how about this
> transition scheme:
>
> - Add the previously suggested CYGWIN option for syncing the Win32
> working directory, with two settings: on and off. Default to on for
> the moment. That would allow people like Daniel Colascione to switch
> it off if they don't care about the resulting failures in cygutils and
> elsewhere.
> - Implement the -lsynccwd scheme.
> - Notify maintainers about the rebuild that's necessary if their
> packages use Win32 APIs. Rebuild cygutils, git, and tcltk as soon as
> possible.
> - In a few months, switch the default to not sync, and hence allow
> working directories to be deleted., and which point. Affected programs
> that haven't been rebuilt could still be made to work by switching the
> option back on.

That might work in the long run, but if there's any chance to get this
automatically, as in 1.7.5, but without the Vista handle problem, I'd
prefer it over any other workaround.  For the time being, we have the
EBUSY, but we can at least take comfort that it's backed by POSIX.

Corinna

Red Hat