TCL exec kills its owning tty (was: Unable to initialize fd 0 for /dev/tty1)

Tue Sep 7 13:00:00 GMT 2010

On Sep  7 11:22, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>  On 9/6/2010 11:34 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> >The last couple days I've gotten some really strange errors.
> >Sometimes I'll alt-tab to an xterm window and start typing, only
> >to have it disappear at the first keystroke. Sometimes `emacs -nw'
> >will get hit instead, leaving both emacs and the xterm pretty much
> >unusable. I haven't been able to get a stack trace
> I can reproduce this bug reliably with both 1.7.7 and 1.7.6 versions
> of cygwin1.dll (which makes me suspect the problem is not there).

Actually, this is a Cygwin bug.  I can reproduce it and I can
only reproduce it starting with Cygwin 1.7.6, which introduced a
change in the way ttys are handled under the hood.  Apparently  I
managed to break something along the line.

> $ echo 'exec ls' > tty-killer; tclsh tty-killer &
>
> Running the script in the foreground, passing it as a -c argument to
> bash, or piping it into tclsh, does *not* expose the bug.

Unfortunately it also doesn't happen under strace.  So, still digging
for the culprit.  Stay tuned...

Corinna

Red Hat