OpenGL linking problems

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Sep 7 13:32:00 GMT 2010

On 04/09/2010 17:29, André Bleau wrote:
On 05/09/2010 00:16, David Doria wrote:
>> Well, we need more info to help us help you. What kind of application are you trying to build? X11 or native? There are 2 ways to build OpenGL-related programs:
>>
>> 1- Using native OpenGL, with driver supported hardware acceleration. For that, you need some way to
>> get a graphic device context. One portable way to do that is to use the GLUT library, provided by
>> the opengl package that I maintain. Look at the doc in /usr/share/doc/opengl-1.1.0 to learn how to
>> do that.
>>
>> The OpenGL implementation in that case is provided by Window's opengl32.dll. Cygwin's w32api package
>> provides the headers and link library for that version of OpenGL.
>>
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH has no effect if you go that way.
>>
>> 2- Using X11, which provides an opengl implementation. At one point, there was support for hardware
>> acceleration; then, it went away; I don't know if it came back or if it is coming back "soon". I will let the maintainer of the libGL* packages answer questions you may have about it. You would better send them to cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com .

[1] discusses the differences between using OpenGL with WGL or with GLX.

AIGLX should be back "soon", indeed :-)

I've had precisely zero feedback on the test releases I've done, so I assume
nobody is very interested in this feature, and it's very
2-steps-forward-1-step-back keeping the necessary patches to mesa libGL
working, but hopefully it will make an appearance in Xserver 1.9

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-opengl-link-problems

>> - André Bleau, Cygwin's opengl package maintainer.
>
> Hi André,
>
> I think I'm trying to build an X11 application - I'm trying to use a
> library called VTK (http://www.vtk.org/). I don't believe it uses
> glut, and I do see a bunch of X11 options in the CMake files. Even if
> there is no support for hardware acceleration with this method, it
> should still build, right?
>
> I do have C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll . I should also have the
> w32api package because I installed all of the cygwin packages.
>
> Any other thoughts of things that would causes these linking errors?

Since you don't give the link line which is causing the problem, I'd tend to
assume the problem is [2]

[2] http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.linker