Portable Cygwin 1.5 compiled using XP fails to run on W7 64

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Tue Sep 7 17:55:00 GMT 2010

Dear All,
Subject says all.
Could a portable version of Cygwin 1.5 mounted on a USB stick reasonably
be expected to run on W7 64?
I know there are recommendations but can't remember outright
prohibitions or constraints.
If not, I would have expected dumb failure. But actually we are getting:

grasp denied (actually Zugriff verweigert, it's a German machine)
/cygdrive/f/bin/sed: can`t read c:/cygmnts.log:
No such file or directory

I've never heard of grasp (or Zugriff) and I cannot remember ever before
having a requirement for c:/cygmnts.log.

Thanks. I've got another stick with Cygwin 1.7 on it and am not
expecting problems (but haven't yet tried) running it on the W7 64 machine.

Fergus