incredibly slow file listing script on windoze 7 pro 4 core 64 bit

Tue Sep 7 18:50:00 GMT 2010

On 9/7/2010 12:05 PM, mike marchywka wrote:
> this takes a few minutes on old debian machine, taking much longer
> here on same data-
> about 19k file about 24Gb total size.
> Windoze finally has better perf stuff but still no help- one core at
> 25 pct all kernel
> time disk not exactly busy. All the time is in the "ls" loop not the
> find command.
> Now obbviously I expect the "ls" per file has to make a bunch of OS calls for
> each file but still even with cygwin layer seems a bit much.
> Thanks.

The problem is that Cygwin has to open all the files to stat when you
use the '-l' flag.  Try without the flag to get the lower bound and see if
that's better for you.  If so, maybe '-s' will suit your purpose.  Or
even 'du'?

Holliston, MA 01746