Windows-style pathname does not work as command - why?

Daniel Barclay daniel@fgm.com
Fri Sep 10 01:10:00 GMT 2010

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> No, that's not a key goal. From the Cygwin main web page:
>>>
>>> Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows
>>
>> Well, I (and my employer) would not be using Cygwin if it wasn't for
>> the Windows integration, in particular the ability to plug POSIX and
>> Windows programs together.
>>
>> If I just wanted to run Linux software on Windows, I'd use a virtual
>> machine or coLinux. While Cygwin's lower resource usage is nice to
>> have, that's easily outweighed by the inevitable compatibility and
>> performance drawbacks that come with building on top of Win32.
>
> There are allot of different reasons people choose to use Cygwin.
> However, as a product (and I'm not suggesting anything commercially
> motivated here when using that term), it has some key design goals.
> They are the ones I quoted from the main page on the Cygwin web site.
> There are others that are secondary goals. Interoperability
> is certainly one. But Windows/DOS-style path support is not the
> "whole reason" for Cygwin as the OP suggested.

I did NOT say that Windows/DOS-style path support was the whole reason
for Cygwin.  Pay attention to your quoting/paraphrasing.

 > It is, rather, a
> case where the primary goals of Linux compatibility require a choice
> to be made and in this case the choice is POSIX-style paths trump
> Windows/DOS-style paths anywhere the support cost is too high for
> the latter.
>
> The general argument of Windows interoperability in Cygwin has been
> discussed on the list in the past. I'm not trying to re-open those
> threads or start a new flame war on the subject. I'm only trying to
> correct a misconception of the OP with regards to accepted path syntax.
> I hope that's clear now.

Not yet.  Cygpath certainly supports Windows-style paths.  Are you
claiming that places like that are the only place that it is "accepted"
to use Windows-styles paths (that is, if something like "ls 'C:\x\y'" quit
working, it likely wouldn't be fixed)?

Daniel