Oddities with file deletion on CIFS drive

Sat Sep 11 10:59:00 GMT 2010

On Sep 10 10:48, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Friday, September 10, 2010 7:09 PM +0200 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >>Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.
> >
> >I'm not sure.  I don't think so.  The problem is that the unlink(2)
> >function in Cygwin does not get any error code from any of the OS
> >functions it calls.  So, from the Cygwin POV everything worked fine.
> >How is it supposed to know that anything has gone wrong, if the
> >underlying OS doesn't tell?
>
> Heh, magic I guess.  If I mount the drive as a CIFS drive from a Linux box,
> I can delete the files just fine, so for now that gives me a workaround
> (I'll move my deletion process to a Linux box).

This morning I had an idea.  While we were looking into the ACL, we
neglected the DOS attributes.  When you call `attrib' on one of the
files for which you didn't call chmod yet, is the R/O attribute set?

If so, it *could* explain why Cygwin thought it has successfully deleted
the file, but it hasn't.  I also might have a workaround for this.

Corinna

Red Hat