Reinstalled gcc, make, automake: now BASH stackdumps L&R

SJ Wright sjwright68@charter.net
Thu Sep 16 07:50:00 GMT 2010

Dave, all:

I'm just wondering why bash, or any shell, in Cygwin, or any environment
where it was able to run, would bother creating stack-dump files with
headers but no data. I haven't got the knowledge to parse and peruse the
cygcheck.out file I created, but I did take a close look at my config
files (the ones directly related, by name and function as much as I am
aware, to bash -- .bash_profile, .bash_aliases and .bashrc). I also
discovered that when this one-line stackdump file is created in the
"special" folder I assigned to this batch script I typically use to
start rxvt, a totally empty one is created in my home folder.

On the Windows side of things, I happen to be experiencing what I've
come to call "black before claque." It's that long lag of black screen
betwee the Windows XP splash fading out and one's login prompt screen
coming up. I've read on a few sites that appear to be reputable (perhaps
M$ among them) that this is a sure sign that one's boot drive is
starting to fail. Could this stackdumping be merely a side effect of that.

I started in legacy Mac OS. As boot drives on that side, in those days,
failed, even weirder things were bound to happen  Imagine every icon in
your Apple menu and System Folder going generic but all the other icons
everywhere else on the system staying perfectly OK -- until you run
Netscape or QuickTime Player -- this was well before iTunes --  and they
all "cheese out". (Happened.)

Steve W.