On the new mingw64-i686 packages

JonY jon_y@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 17 14:18:00 GMT 2010

On 9/17/2010 19:30, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> JonY wrote:
>> It should be in /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/libstdc++-6.dll.
>
> Yes, I know this... so, if I have understood, we *need* to add,
> manually, '/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin' to PATH. Right?

No, its not a good idea IMHO if we want to support mingw.org and 64-bit
mingw-w64 in parallel. They all have the same dll names. This brings us
to the next issue...

> Perhaps, you have to create a mingw32-stdc++-6.dll to put in /usr/bin
> (likewise cygstdc++-6.dll) or a postinstall script which does the job
> (see the lapack packages, for example).

I made a libtool patch to fixup the dll names sometime ago, but the
maintainers were not very happy with creating another new prefix.

For now, the best way is to build the program in Cygwin, start a cmd
prompt with the correct sys-root added to PATH, and run the program from
there.