distro "apache2" will not start

Paul McFerrin pmcferrin@columbus.rr.com
Fri Sep 17 15:02:00 GMT 2010

Al wrote:
>> The apache2 package is orphaned for this long period of time already.
>> Maybe it's time to pull it from the distro, unless somebody would
>> like to take over maintainership.
>>

> There is an oss freak in Thuringia, currently working out the idea of
> a common patch repository to bring the DRY principle to patch
> maintenance and to lower the work for each Distro. I think the idea is
> interesting at least and could help in cases like this.
>
> http://www.metux.de/download/oss-qm/normalized_repository.pdf
>
> Al
>
> --

Al:
This sounds like the reduce work on future maintenance might be a
blessing.  As for orphaning the product, I would hate to see that
happen..My current version is presently 1.3.22 and I have on many
occasions attempted to build a version 2 apache only not to make it.  It
was only within the past two years I discovered that a version 2 was
available so I put this project on my to do list.

The MAJOR reason I'm hanging on 1.3.22 for cygwin is that it supports
true Unix-style symbolic links.  It saves a lot of data movement and/or
duplication.

If you don't have anyone to volunteer the work on apache 2, I'll just
keep my 1.3.22 system.  It has been a very reliable product.  I don't
use any transaction nor SSL.apps.

P.S.  I can't volunteer any time on this due to my health.

--
	http://genealogy.mcferrin.org/	# McFerrin Family History, Public View