Unacceptable behavior -- slowing down script execution

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Mon Sep 20 20:00:00 GMT 2010

On 09/18/2010 05:35 AM, SJ Wright wrote:
> Is there any reason, when bash itself nowadays has pretty good
> tab-completion, why bash-completion is still available in setup.exe or
> elsewhere in the Luniverse?

Yes.  Builtin bash completion ONLY targets command names (in the first
shell word) and file names (in subsequent shell words). The
bash-completion package adds context-sensitive tab completion (ssh <TAB>
completes on known machine names, chown <TAB> completes on known user
names, git branch <TAB> completes on branch names in the current
repository, etc.).  If you want the additional context sensitivity
(which _I_ do), then bash-completion is a must.  If you don't mind
losing out on the extra context sensitivity and want bash to use less
resources, then avoid bash-completion.  It's up to you.

volunteer cygwin bash-completion maintainer