1.7.7(0.230/5/3) - Cannot change mode of file, and other permission issues on a Windows fileshare

Keith Christian keith1christian@gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 16:41:00 GMT 2010

> Does a call to chmod fail as well?  If so, can you create an strace of
> such a chmod, like this:
>
>  $ touch foo
>  $ strace -o chmod.trace chmod 444 foo
>
> and send the chmod.trace file to the list?

Thanks, Corinna,

Yes, I receive "chmod: changing permissions of `foo': Permission
denied" when executing chmod 444 foo.

Here is a set of commands, more than you asked for, but which may be
helpful.  The chmod.trace file was "sanitized" to remove any personal
identifying info and is attached.

Xufai3iF@server ~>set -x ; rm foo ; ls -l foo ; touch foo ; chmod 444
foo ; ls -l foo ; touch foo ; strace -o chmod.trace chmod 444 foo ;
set +x
+ rm -i foo
rm: remove regular empty file `foo'? y
+ ls -l foo
ls: cannot access foo: No such file or directory
+ touch foo
+ chmod 444 foo
-rwx------+ 1 Xufai3iF Domain Users 0 2010-09-24 08:34 foo