It's raining stackdumps

SJ Wright sjwright68@charter.net
Sat Sep 25 11:40:00 GMT 2010

Gary wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:

>>> emacs, you say? Well, that sort of trims it down
>>>

>> Are you saying that you get stackdumps while using emacs?
>>

> If I had to guess at what is causing it, I would say make or some
> interaction between make or some program used in my makefile - sed, gpp
> (http://en.nothingisreal.com/wiki/GPP), /bin/sh, Cygwin Ports' php - and
> 1.7.7. It has only been happening the last week or two, which is why I
> point the finger at 1.7.7 (I upgraded on 13th September).

Continuing the thread, since the problem persists, emacs in or running
or not.

I've created my own stackdumper script and aliased it to the word
"shampoo." It writes to a log file. You'll find the script -- and most
recent log entries attached -- on the offchance anyone wants to do the
same to document this issue with numbers (dates, times and file-lengths)
etc.

Stackdumps are normally created by some sort of code collision, right?
What could be causing collisions when a terminal sits idle for four
hours and runs one and only one script, albeit not in its CWD, in all
that time?

'S a puzzler.

Steve W