What does this look like to you folks.

SJ Wright sjwright68@charter.net
Tue Sep 28 08:14:00 GMT 2010

First, a little background:

In quite a few previous edits of my .bash_aliases file, I've used the
same alias to cd to a particular folder. Tonight I typed it in and got
the following as a return:
> [/cygdrive/c/blu/newest]
> mintty-cygwin>>smith
> + laugh
> + pwd
> /cygdrive/c/blu/newest
> + cd /cygdrive/c/taiga/
> + pwd
> /cygdrive/c/taiga
> + cd /cygdrive/c/taiga
> [/cygdrive/c/blu/newest]
When I went to view .bash_aliases in nano, the alias 'smith' (changed at
my prerogative for discussion on this list) was missing. As far as I
know, it was there as recently as 5 AM today; I believe I used it around
noon today (27 September) as well.

Should I be worried? I've never heard of Cygwin being a target for
--the precise term escapes me at the moment so I'll say-- this kind of
intrusion, if that's what it is.  As for potential "routes in," I have
sshd running on cygrunsrv but nothing else. Time to change my login
password, maybe?

Steve W.