Have idea for titlebar tweak -- need help with syntax

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:27:00 GMT 2010

On 28 September 2010 04:45, SJ Wright wrote:
> From what I've read so far, though, it appears that with bash
> I've backed the wrong horse, so far as getting the running process name  in
> the title bar goes. The name of the shell is called by /s, I found out. I
> still wonder why Bourne (or his 'successors') didn't think a blind 'ps
>  -head1' was worth setting an escape character for?

Because it would be no use at the time the prompt is printed: after
the last command.

You can use the trap builtin with the faux 'DEBUG' signal though to
execute a command just before a command is executed, and $BASH_COMMAND
will tell you what that command is. Here's one way to put this to use:

trap 'printf "\e]0;%s\a" "$BASH_COMMAND"' DEBUG

Andy