newlib and long-double question

Mon Apr 18 11:43:00 GMT 2011

On Apr 10 19:30, N. C. wrote:
> Exactly, I really need to be able to build Perl whose NV is a long
> double. And this was just one example that I gave. I honestly think it
> is worth it to have long double support in cygwin (to have those
> functions that are currently undefined), as it seems more and more
> clear that A) there is a use for them, and B) there are cases where it
> really is needed.
>
> IIRC, the whole point of cygwin is to have a unix-like environment
> within a non-unix-like system, right? Does it not make sense to make
> the back bone (libc) that much mroe complete, furthur augmenting
> usability and compatibility?

The problem is not that anybody doubts that long double support is
useful, the problem is the simple lack of somebody actually volunteering
to do it.  We all have our plates full with other stuff to do.

So, if you're familiar with math stuff and you would like to see long
double support in newlib/Cygwin, there's nothing better than
contributing the code yourself.

Corinna

Red Hat