Octave Plotting, Invoking Octave

Doug Pace pacedm@inl.gov
Tue Apr 19 15:23:00 GMT 2011

Thanks Marco

   I deleted the cygwin directory and reinstalled, selecting cygwin 1.7.8-1.
This did not work either; but I may have done a rebaseall after installing octave.

Got octave working with this sequence:

install cygwin, with x11; do a >/cygwin/bin/ash ? ./rebaseall;
run setup again:  downgrade to 1.7.8-1, select octave, octave-forge ...;
(do NOT run ./rebaseall)
now sombrero demo plot works in octave.
BUT with the figure displayed a second Octave -> figure  command does not work.

Doug

REFERENCE:  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-04/msg00252.html

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Doug Pace  wrote:
> Installed cygwin with gnuplot, X11, and octave.
>
> Octave will not run the 'sombrero' demo plot.
>
> Have removed c:\cygwin and reinstalled; have attempted previous releases of
> cygwin and octave.
> Yes, I needed to use ash and do
> ? ? ? ? ? ?$ ./rebaseall
> to get startx to work.
>
> Now octave no longer opens, no error messages are issued just returns to the
> shell prompt.
>
> This is on XP sp 3.
> Thanks for any help,

Doug,
rebaseall seems to break octave on WinXP. I already noted it on 1.7.9
and on some snapshots.

Workaround.
- reinstall octave
- downgrade cygwin from 1.7.9-1 to 1.7.8-1

At least on my WinXP SP3 it works.