gdb-7.3.50-1 can't read debug info for gcc-4.5.0-1 (exp)?

Fri Aug 5 13:32:00 GMT 2011

On 05/08/2011 7:58 AM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> It seems that the latest release of gdb doesn't quite get debug info
> right when reading apps compiled with the experimental gcc-4.5
> package. It's a lot closer than the old  gdb was able to get, but
> reported line numbers are usually off by 3-5 lines and breakpoints are
> similarly affected.
>
> Is there some obvious reason I shouldn't expect this to work, and have
> other people seen similar problems? If the answers are "no" and "no"
> I'll start trying to isolate a small test case, and meanwhile I'm
> building a gdb from scratch which I'll report back on.
Huh. Seems to have been a fluke... now that I've built a gdb-7.3 from
scratch, both it and the cygwin version work equally flawlessly. The
only things that have changed are that I rebased my system because the
gdb build was spawning fork failures left and right, and I recompiled
the binary (maybe with different flags? the flags I used before were in
an emacs session which I had to close to rebase). I don't know why the
former would affect anything, and I'll remain skeptical of the latter
unless I stumble across another magic combo of "bad" compiler flags (I
wasn't doing anything crazy or unusual in that area).

Sorry for cluttering up the list with this.
Ryan