Portable shell code between Cygwin and Linux

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@freemail.ru
Fri Aug 5 16:05:00 GMT 2011

Greetings, Sebastien Vauban!

>> Must be
>>
>> alias vpnup='exec sudo openvpn --config $HOME/config/client.vpn --writepid /tmp/openvpn.pid &'
>>
>> that's where his problem began, IMO.

> That's interesting. I thought this was completely equivalent (~ or $HOME), and
> preferred the shorter version.

For bash, that's true.
But for POSIX shell, or any other random shell - I doubt that much.
Anyway, if you want to write portable script, use POSIX shell syntax.
Yes, you'd lack some shortcuts, but the end result will be that your script is
more likely to work on random system, than not.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...