/etc/fstab

Thorsten Kampe thorsten@thorstenkampe.de
Thu Aug 11 09:18:00 GMT 2011

* J.V. (Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:17:42 -0600)
> What is the exact line I should put in /etc/fstab to get C:\ mounted to
> /c   on Windows 7?

none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

> The documentation makes me think.  Please do not make me think.

I know, thinking can sometimes hurt. This is because you seem not used
to it.

> Is there a reason this does not come by default?

If you think (ouch!) about it, you will realize that you'll get a mess
of Cygwin directories and (depending on the number of local drives and
mapped network shares) single letter directories on the root. For the
same reason, you don't mount all your external drives or shares on Linux
to / but to /mnt or /media.

> Is cygwin installed on non windows systems like Linux?

"Cygwin - Get that Linux feeling - on Windows!" (headline at
http://cygwin.com/). Does that answer your question?

> jeez, why is this so complicated? Why am I forced to think about crap
> like this?

If you think (sorry!) about it, you'd realize that there is nothing
complicated in typing /c<TAB>c. Actually there is nothing more simple
than that.

Thorsten