Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware

John Dzielski jdzielsk@stevens.edu
Sat Aug 13 21:11:00 GMT 2011

I'm posting again because I failed to provide an informative subject.
My apologies for the noise.

I have cygwin installed on a VMWare VM running Windows 7 on a Mac
running OSX 10.6.  This does not seem to be a problem with machines
running Windows 7 natively.  I am unable to get name resolution to work
with ssh.  The command ssh X returns the error "ssh: could not resolve
hostname X:  Non-recoverable failure in name resolution."  The command
nslookup X returns a valid IP address.  I found the link below, and
several others that reference the problem, but no solution.  Is there a
solution to this problem?

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-02/msg00230.html

I've created a partial workaround in my .bashrc file that creates
variables containing the IP addresses of the names I need to resolve.
This solution doesn't work with svn working copies if the repository has
a dynamic address because the IP address of the repository at checkout
will be coded in the .svn/entries file.  If the IP address of the svn
server changes I'm won't be able to perform svn operations.