Problem

John Dzielski jdzielsk@stevens.edu
Mon Aug 15 17:03:00 GMT 2011


Larry,
     I submitted a later post where I found that the problem occurs when 
the VM networking mode is NAT.  Okay with bridged.  I've submitted a 
support request to VMware.  John.

On 8/15/11 12:56 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 8/13/2011 5:00 PM, John Dzielski wrote:
>> I have cygwin installed on a VMWare VM running Windows 7 on a Mac 
>> running
>> OSX 10.6. I am unable to get name resolution to work with ssh. The 
>> command
>> ssh X returns the error "ssh: could not resolve hostname X: 
>> Non-recoverable
>> failure in name resolution." The command nslookup X returns a valid IP
>> address. I found the link below, and several others that reference the
>> problem, but no solution. Is there a solution to this problem?
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-02/msg00230.html
>>
>> I do not have this problem with machines running XP either on VMs or
>> natively. I've created a partial workaround in my .bashrc file that 
>> creates
>> variables containing the IP addresses of the names I need to resolve. 
>> This
>> solution doesn't work with svn working copies if the repository has a
>> dynamic address because the IP address of the repository at checkout 
>> will be
>> coded in the .svn/entries file. If the IP address of the svn server 
>> changes
>> I'm won't be able to perform svn operations.
>
> Have you talked to the VMWare folks about this?  It does seem like an
> odd issue that only affects name resolution on VMware with Win7.
>
>

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple



More information about the Cygwin mailing list