install on win7 enterprise, can't modify bash start up shortcut

LMH lmh_users-groups@molconn.com
Sat Aug 20 00:19:00 GMT 2011

Thank you for all the clarification on shells and terminals, I have
always used the terms interchangeably, which I guess was not correct.

A few replies,

 > Is there any religious taboo that would prevent you from opening the
 > batch script in an editor and see that you're wrong?

No, I did this on my XP cygwin install, and there is clearly nothing
there to indicate the windows size, nor was there anything in the bashrc
files, so I didn't know where to look next. I suppose I need to look at
ini files for the terminal that gets started.

 > That window belongs to cmd.exe; bash runs inside it. The settings are
 > in the registry; for the Cygwin shortcut it's

This would imply that I'm trying to change a registry setting related to
cmd.exe and the OS isn't letting me. The confusing thing is that I have
done this before on the exact same OS and not had this issue.

Just for giggles, I tried to change the terminal settings for my windows
command line shortcut. I did not get the same error, but I did notice
that there was a menu entry called "Defaults" as well as "Properties".
This gives the same options, but this time when I save them there is no
error. Changing the defaults changes the window options for both the
bash shortcut and the windows cmd shortcut (I have both on my desktop).

So I guess this is resolved, but I suppose I should look in to running
the mintty terminal. What are the basic advantages of this compared to
running in cmd?

LMH