Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 09:44:00 GMT 2011

On 12/3/2011 5:26 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
> According to http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
> with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My "cygcheck -cvs"
> shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.  I was wondering if it is
> wise to assume that the app version number from cygcheck is the same as the
> version number from the gnu site?

Hi Andrew

in general the cygwin packages are aligned with upstream versions,
eventually with additional patches.
Octave package 3.4.2-3 is aligned with upstream 3.4.2.
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

I guess you have some problem on your octave package,
and you can also check the version with:

$ /usr/bin/octave --version
GNU Octave, version 3.4.2

and on my system:

octave:2> Y = wavread("oddchunk.wav")

is working fine as expected.
If you have problem with a different example file, than
please rise the problem on octave bug system or send me by
private mail your file, and I will check against the development
build.

If your version is not 3.4.2-3, close all cygwin programs
and re-install octave.

Regards
Marco