gnome-keyring bug in snapshots

Sat Dec 3 23:04:00 GMT 2011

On Dec  3 16:30, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 01:44:59PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:19:10PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> >>For some time now, snapshots have displayed a bug wrt gnome-keyring,
> >>namely that passwords don't "register" when entered.  This wreaks
> >>havoc on the GNOME desktop where so many programs rely on
> >>gnome-keyring.
> >>[...]
> According to strace, the "couldn't allocate secure memory..." messages
> seems to be caused by this:
>
> gnome-keyring-daemon 3820 seterrno_from_nt_status: /cygnus/src/uberbaum/winsup/cygwin/mmap.cc:1399 status 0xC0000061
>
> That is coming from mlock() which hasn't changed in months.
>
> The status above translates to: STATUS_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD and that is
> coming from NtLockVirtualMemory() .
>
> Yaakov or Corinna does any of the above mean anything to you?

As documented in mmap.cc, mlock functionality requires the SE_LOCK_MEMORY
privilege which only the SYSTEM account holds by default.  Mlock is
unchanged since it has been introduced in 2005.

Having said that, after searching the net for a while I found out that
the privilege requirement is excessive.  In 2005 I stumbled over the
wrong interpretation of what the VirtualLock function is doing.  Not
even Microsoft guys are immune to that(*), apparently.

I dropped the requirement for the SE_LOCK_MEMORY privilege in CVS so
every process should be able to call mlock successfully now.

Corinna

(*) http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/11/06/5924058.aspx
    See the last paragraph.

Red Hat