Machine very sluggish while compiling

Sun Dec 4 07:55:00 GMT 2011

On 25/11/2011 10:47 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 07:59:58PM -0500 Ryan Johnson wrote:
>
>> Lately I've noticed that running make -j4 on my quad-core win7-x64
>> machine causes it to become sluggish or even unresponsive.
> I have seen very similar effects on my Win7-64 box. I can force the
> problem here just be running "ccrypt", though, I do not need to use "make
> -j4".
>
> I assume it has to do with the Windows 64 bit problems of Cygwin (search
> the ML archives for that).
>
> For me, this is the first machine since years where I do not use Cygwin
> because of this issue.
Update: I hit the problem again, this time running python, and the
problem is repeatable with the native 64-bit windows python interpreter.
It looks like cygwin doesn't cause the problem, but rather my high-cpu
tasks tend to run under cygwin. Honestly, I wouldn't expect cygwin to be
the cause, given that it's a user space only piece of software!

Now what other entity could be the cause, I haven't a clue... process
explorer doesn't show anything. Maybe that's because it's frozen along
with the rest of the world during these episodes; right as it comes back
I see context switch deltas above 100k for the interrupt/DPC module,
which suggests I've got a wonky driver somewhere.

Ryan