One more "Cygwin 1.7 setup on Win7 fails with "Unable to extract /etc/..."

Wed Dec 7 16:22:00 GMT 2011

On 12/7/2011 7:52 AM, Helio C. Bortolon wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> When trying to install cygwin 1.7 on a Windows XP I came through
> almost the same problems found in the message below
>
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-11/msg00607.html>
>
> the only difference is that the message in setup.log says "file not
> found" about /etc/setup/setup.rc, but the rest of the behaviour is the
> same: "retry" leads to another window asking "retry or continue" and
> "continue" leads to a hang in the process.
>
> The window tells me to kill any other cygwin process and reboot, but
> there is none running (this is my first trial).
>
> What else could I tell about this to help someone to help me?
>
> I apologize if this message is not full of information, but the error
> messages are all I have. I tried to attach the PNGs of the error
> windows, but the system blocked me.

Yeah, a bunch of images is a pretty heavy way to communicate a few error
messages anyway.  But if you see something there that you believe would be
helpful or have a question about, you can always transcribe the message.

If this is your first attempt at ever installing Cygwin on this machine,
make sure you're using the current version of the installer from this
link: <http://cygwin.com/setup.exe>.  In addition to the other ideas
presented in the previous thread you mentioned, you might check your
disk for any other rogue cygwin1.dlls.  You may actually have a 3PP
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> that's interfering.

--
Larry