Unable to install Cygwin on Windows XP: the actual messages.

Helio C. Bortolon heliocbortolon@gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 10:40:00 GMT 2011

Dear colleagues,

I will repost the same question I did before, correcting my lack of
imagination in working around some restrictions on file attachments.

The setup I am using is the 2.761. I downloaded all the packages,
including all the suggested dependencies, in advance and made the
installation from a local directory. A message appeared recommending
to download 'ligjpeg62', and I accepted.

The process went OK until this message:

""Unable to extract /usr/share -- the file is in use.
Please stop all cygwin processes and select "Retry", or select
"Continue" to go on anyway (you will need to reboot).""

This was my very first installation, so I searched my entire system to
find only one occurrence of cygwin1.dll, the one in the CalculiX
installation, which I was not using during the Cygwin installation. I
removed the package and tried again, to the same outcome.

Pressing 'retry', the window keeps refreshing continuously. Pressing
'continue' leads to a hang in the process, and canceling it leads to:

""Cannot open log file D:\"Documents and
Settings"\CXZH/var/log/setup.log for writing""

The directory ...CXZH... is my home the Windows XP, and I do have
write access to it. I believe this is a problem with '\' and '/', but
I am not sure and have no idea about how to solve it.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance.