[ANNOUNCEMENT] CALL FOR TESTING: Cygwin 1.7.10

Mon Dec 12 13:27:00 GMT 2011

On Dec  8 14:31, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> Enrico Forestieri writes:
> >
> > However, I experimented a bit with the last snapshot, and even using Greek
> > or Japanese characters in file names, lyx seems to be working fine.
>
> Sorry, it was a cursory test. Actually, cygwin_conv_path is only called
> for absolute paths. Using an absolute Windows path containing any nonascii
> character, makes lyx fail miserably.
>
> I know this is a no-no for you (even if absolute Windows paths can sneak in
> by opening a document created by a Windows version), so I will not insist,
> but knowlingly breaking backward compatibility is not nice.

I'm not sure what to do here.  Breaking backward compatibility is not
nice, you're right, but the current behaviour really doesn't make much
sense.  The easiest way to handle this is to revert the change, but
still...

Would it be ok if it works the old way (WIN_A uses the Cygwin codeset)
for applications built under 1.7.9 and earlier, and the new way (WIN_A
uses Win32 ANSI/OEM codepage) for applications built under 1.7.10 and
later?  That means the current lyx continues to work and you can patch
lyx upstream accordingly to follow the new behaviour.

Corinna

Red Hat