Latest cygwin.bat - need one

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Dec 13 03:07:00 GMT 2011

[Sorry, I again accidentally replied to the OP instead of to the list.]

On 12/12/2011 8:37 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 04:11:48PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
>>      General
>>          [Name:] Cygwin Terminal
>>      Shortcut
>>          Target: C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -
>>          Start in: [empty]
>>          Shortcut key: None
>>          Run: Normal window
>>          [Icon:] C:\cygwin\Cygwin-Termina.ico
>
> Thanks, I created a shortcut with the above info and it is close.
>
> It starts and it finds my shell and my config files.  But $SHELL is empty
> and the terminal has no clue as to where any of the Cygwin programs are.
> The PATH that is created before any of my files are read contains info on
> Windblows program locations, but nowhere is /usr/bin or /bin, or any of the
> long path names to the Cygwin binaries.
>
> When started from the cygwin.bat file, "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:" prefice
> the Windblows paths.  So, a PATH that includes the needed info to the cygwin
> binaries is built when BAT is run, but not when mintty is started.
>
> Is there a reason why Cygwin is not building a PATH with the needed info?

Are you sure you didn't forget the `-' at the end of the target?  That's
what tells mintty to start your shell as a login shell, in which case
the commands in /etc/profile should get executed.  One of the commands
in the default /etc/profile adds /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin to PATH.
Have you modified /etc/profile?

Ken