sftp-server -h succeeds on cmd, fails on mintty

Thu Dec 22 02:38:00 GMT 2011

On 12/21/2011 9:10 PM, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> On 22/12/11 12:25, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 12/21/2011 8:17 PM, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm experiencing a wider problem with sftp'ing to/from a Cygwin sshd
>>> service. However as a starting point into debugging, I've identified a
>>> simple failure in the sftp-server that may give an indication into the
>>> wider problem.
>>>
>>> When I ran just a simple usage argument to sftp-server in a mintty
>>> session, the command failed:
>>>
>>> sbaddah@*********** ~
>>> $ /usr/sbin/sftp-server -h; x=$?; echo $x
>>> 127
>>
>> This works fine for me from mintty.  Just a shot in the dark but can
>> you try it with a local user?  How about a local user that's part of
>> the local Administrators group?
>
> Yes, this has made a difference. Thank you. I ran against a local
> user, although they were not a local administrator. It ran fine:
>
> portapps@*********** ~
> $ /usr/sbin/sftp-server -h
> usage: sftp-server [-ehR] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-u umask]
>
> I guess that points towards a pseudo terminal handling glitch for a
> domain user, right?

Not definitely, no.  I just tried with my work account (which is a domain
account) and found no problem.  Although I can't compare directly with the
your IDs, I have root(0) and Administrators(544) on mine.  Maybe try adding
these if you don't have them already.

--
Larry