Where to find a reliable provider of CygwinX?

Jørgen Steensgaard jsm@steensgaard.org
Tue Feb 1 21:11:00 GMT 2011

A previous reply informed me that libjpeg62 may be included as an
obsolete package.  I have not checked that out, so the discussion
including the following should be understood in that context.  I have
not checked whether it actually is available that way.

I deliberately omitted the identity of the actual provider, since this
mailinglist is so widely read.  Send me a private email-address and I
shall provide you with the information.

The missing presence of X and xinit I experienced by use of 'which' and
making certain that these were commands in a 1.5-version that is running
on another computer.  In fact I looked in vain for a folder with
binaries for X.  I then switched provider, used an unmodified selection
of packages and checked that the two commands were present in a relevant
folder.  I have not yet the X-server running.

I used the search facility of setup.exe with libjpeg to find packages,
none of them showed libjpeg6.2 and subsequently checked with the
complete name.  This was the behaviour observed with two different
providers.  I was not aware of means to disclose obsolete packages.

Another experience that emerge from this discussion is that it seems
very hard to be believed.  It is also very hard to document the details
of what goes on during installation.  Please take than into account when
you take this as a support experience, which certainly is in line with
my intentions.

Do not forget to send a non-mailinglist email-address for information
about which providers I have experienced.  You may then decide, if the
information should be published here.

You might of course also emphasize your doubts of my credibility, if you
want to close the actual discussion.

Jørgen