gfortran, lapack, and cygwin

David Billinghurst dbcygwin@gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:18:00 GMT 2011

On 2/02/2011 8:41 AM, Timothy Sliwinski wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I am having a particularly hard time getting lapack, gfortran and cygwin to
> play nice. I installed the lapack packages under the math section of
> setup.exe, however, when I go to use them with gfortran, I get errors saying
> gfortran canÂ’t find the libraries.
>
> I am using the following command for my compilation:
>
> $ gfortran test.for –o test –llapack
>
> And the error I receive is
>
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot
> find
>   -llapack
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

You need to install the development library liblapack-devel. This
provides /usr/lib/liblapack.dll.a and /usr/lib/libblas.dll.a, which are
required to link applications that use the dynamic libraries
cyglapack.dll and cygblas.dll.

It also provides /usr/lib/liblapack.a and /usr/lib/libblas.a, which are
used if you link statically.

You need to link the BLAS routines by adding -lblas AFTER –llapack
	gfortran mytest.f90 -o mytest -llapack -lblas

	David

PS:  Bad practice to name a binary "test" on cygwin or any unix system,
as there is a utility and also a bash builtin function with this name.