1.7.7: after upgrade lost ability to login via ssh

Wed Feb 9 22:35:00 GMT 2011

On 2/9/2011 5:07 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 04:56 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> Does reverting OpenSSH to 5.7 make a difference?
>>>

>> Downgraded to 5.7:
>>
>>      bash-4.1$ sshd --version
>>      sshd: unknown option -- -
>>      OpenSSH_5.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011
>>

>> > From client:
>>
>>      ssh -i keypair1.pem   Administrator@MACHINE_IP
>>      Last login: Wed Feb  9 12:54:08 2011 from LOCAL_CLIENT_IP
>>      Connection to MACHINE_IP closed.
>>

>> Nope.  Still have the same problem.  Connection is made but immediately
>> closes.
>>

> I'm suspecting this is related to running Cygwin 1.7.
>
> In looking back though some notes I started having bash shell problems
> after upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7.
>
> Now on 1.7 if I try to run bash as a login shell it just gets "Bad
> address" or segfault errors and immediately exits the shell which also
> probably affects 'ssh'.
>
> I don't remember having any bash problems when I was running Cygwin 1.5
> on this machine.  My notes reflect screen copies showing bash able to
> run as a login shell without any problem.

Yep, that's the way we all run by default (see cygwin.bat).  I agree
that if you're having problems getting bash to behave, it's best to focus
on that issue first.  Your ssh problems may just be another symptom of
the same thing.  How about sending cygcheck output
(<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>)?  There may be something helpful in
that which someone on the list might pick up on.

--
Larry