Please add 'AVG Internet Security 2011' to the BLODA list (and cygport also :-) ).

L Anderson lowella@member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 15 05:13:00 GMT 2011

Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 09:40 PM, L Anderson wrote:
>> In regards to the aforementioned while loop in 'conftest.c'--the logic
>> of it being run for every invocation of a 'coreutils' build escapes me.
>> I can see running it once per OS, outside of the build process, to
>> determine if the given OS does the right thing; after that, shouldn't it
>> just be a case of checking if the OS being used has been tested and
>> deemed to behave properly?
>
> Yes, this particular configure test takes a long time, even without
> virus scanning, on WinXP (where Microsoft has an O(n^2) implementation);
> it's faster on newer Windows (where Microsoft fixed things to be O(n)).
>
> You can pre-seed a config.site cache to skip the test by using a known
> outcome result (in fact, I do just that when building coreutils):
>
> $ cat>>  /usr/config.site<<\EOF
> # configure gets the right answer, but only after hammering the system
> gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes
> EOF

Thanks for the hint--it allowed me to by-pass the test.  However, for
the record, based on 'coreutils-8.10-1--configure[3295,3296]', I think
you meant:

 > $ cat>>  /usr/share/config.site<<\EOF
 > # configure gets the right answer, but only after hammering the system
 > gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes
 > EOF

xor

 > $ cat>>  /usr/etc/config.site<<\EOF
 > # configure gets the right answer, but only after hammering the system
 > gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes
 > EOF

Correct?

I used the latter and it did the trick.