Strange fstatat / stat behavour on directories causing tar "file changed as we read it" error

Steven Hartland killing@multiplay.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 14:49:00 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"

>> Here it takes about 2 - 5mins for what ever is causing the 0 size after a
>> find to start to happen. Prior to that after the find all dirs show 8192 for
>> size in an ls.
>
> Ah, that's interesting.  I see no such time-lag here.

Just to be 100% clear the pattern I see is:-
1. ls -l gives some dirs in testdir as 0 size
2. Run: find testdir
3. ls -l reports all dirs in testdir as 8192 size
4. wait 30 seconds
5. ls -l reports all dirs in testdir as 8192 size
6. wait another minute or so
7. ls -l reports some dirs in testdir as 8192 size and some as 0

> But of course I'm working in an empty directory.  I'm also going to guess
> that you're mounting your directory with the 'noacl' option.  If that's true,
> you might try removing that option to see if it makes any difference.

>From what I've seen it needs subdirs / files to cause the strangeness.

Don't think we are using noacl at least mount doesn't show it:-
C:/testdir on /usr/local/testdir type ntfs (binary)

/etc/fstab shows:-
c:/testdir /usr/local/testdir ntfs binary,auto 0 0

    Regards
    Steve