"This application has failed to start because cyggcc_s-1.dll was not found" error

Tue Jan 25 19:31:00 GMT 2011

On 1/25/2011 1:36 AM, P Rivera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running on Windows 32 XP. Not by choice. :)
>
> I receive the following error after installing Cygwin 1.7.7, and from
> invoking Cygwin from the desktop shortcut:
>
> Unable To Locate Component
> ---------------------------
> This application has failed to start because cyggcc_s-1.dll was not
> found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
>
> I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as completely
> uninstalling using directions from here:
> http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all
>
> I used to have a previous version of Cygwin. Sorry, I can't recall
> what version number that was. It was about 2-4 years in age, I think.
>
> Any hints on how I can fix the problem?

You need to install libgcc1 (see the search results for this here:
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=cyggcc_s-1.dll>)

It's not clear why you didn't get this to start with, though it may be
related to your old installation.  If installing the above package still
doesn't help, please follow the problem reporting guidelines found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

--
Larry