Tcl file separator

Wed Jan 26 03:28:00 GMT 2011

On 1/25/2011 4:48 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> From: Nellis, Kenneth
>> I'm thinking that Cygwin Tcl's "pwd" should match Cygwin's and
>> that "file separator" should return a Linux one.
>>
>> knellis@COBQDPPJ1 ~
>> $ pwd
>> /cygdrive/d/cyghome/knellis
>>
>> knellis@COBQDPPJ1 ~
>> $ /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/tclsh84.exe
>> % pwd
>> D:/cyghome/knellis
>> % file separator
>> \
>> %
>
> I was hoping my OP would get some traction.
> It seems the basic purpose of Tcl's set of "file" commands
> is to allow one to write platform-independent scripts that
> need to manipulate pathnames. The Cygwin implementation seems
> to be broken.

You've touched on a subject with lots of history and as such, I
expect that's mostly the reason your previous post doesn't result
in more response.  I'll let you wade through the email archives if
you're interested in all the nitty-gritty of that history but a
quick summary of the current state is that TCL/TK on Cygwin is
built to support Insight and on Windows Insight wants a Windows
environment (mostly).

--
Larry