untarring symlinks with ../ fails randomly, silghtly OT

Wolf Geldmacher wolf.geldmacher@abacus.ch
Mon Jul 4 12:07:00 GMT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 13:33 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul  4 06:56, Ryan Johnson wrote:

> > >I can neither reproduce the tar problem, nor can I reprocude the rm
> > >problem.  I tried this under 2008R2 which is basically the same as your
> > >W7-64 bit.  I used local and remote drives to test the issue but to no
> > >avail.
> > >
> > >Are you sure this isn't a BLODA problem which is triggered by the
> > >changes in 1.7.9?
> > >
> > >I just took a look through the changes between 1.7.8 and 1.7.9, and
> > >the list of changes which affect filesystem access is pretty small:
> > >
> > >[snip]
> > >
> > >So, is it possible that the request for WRITE_DAC access in the call to
> > >NtCreateFile triggers some hiccup of your virus checker?  It could easily
> > >explain both effects.
> > I have also seen the rm -rf problem occasionally on my w7-64
> > machine, and I don't think anything from BLODA is installed.
>
> Also with 1.7.8?  Given the minor number of FS-related changes, it's
> so very unlikely that they would cause a differnce between 1.7.8 and
> 1.7.9.
>
> > However, I haven't noticed the issue since disabling the search
> > indexer on my machine. I did this on the hunch that I often delete
> > large directory trees which aren't very old (e.g. after
> > untar/configure/make of some source package), and that it wouldn't
> > be a big surprise if indexing and cygwin's rm don't mix for whatever
> > reason.
>
> Hard to imagine that setting the WRITE_DAC flag would interfere with the
> search indexer.  On second thought, the flag is only set if a file does
> not exist yet and NtCreateFile gets called to create the file.  That
> makes it especially unlikely that this would affect unlinking.
>
> However, given that you can reproduce the issue, could you test the
> scenario again?  If the issue occurs, can you disable the following code
> in fhandler.cc and see if it changes anything?
>
> 616  else if (!exists () && has_acls ())
> 617    /* If we are about to create the file and the filesystem supports
> 618       ACLs, we will overwrite the DACL after the call to NtCreateFile.
> 619       This requires a handle with additional WRITE_DAC access,
> 620       otherwise set_file_sd has to open the file again. */
> 621    access |= WRITE_DAC;
>

> Thanks,
> Corinna

If turning off indexing (which is not really necessary for a machine in a
build farm anyway) does not result in any change, I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks for your support!

Wolf