Cross complie linux make files onto a windows 7 machine using PGI Cygwin

Thu Jun 9 19:28:00 GMT 2011

On 6/9/2011 3:22 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 6/9/2011 2:43 PM, roba77 wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I am very unfamiliar with linux/unix (don't even know the difference), but
>> am trying to get some linux software to run on my Windows machine for my
>> research. I have the makefiles for the software, and it is designed to be
>> compiled in the PGI complier, which I also have. When i try to compile the
>> software i start the bash shell through PGI, go to the directory of the
>> makefiles and enter the command:
>>
>> make -f make_rrtm_linux_pgi
>> or
>> gmake -f make_rrtm_linux_pgi
>>
>> I've attached screenshots of both trials
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p31812441/Cygwin%2Bmake%2Bscreenshot.jpg
>> in both cases, there seems to be an error, in the case of gmake, something
>> seems to happen, but it makes a .o file (which I can't find) where I need to
>> be making a .exe file.
>>
>> I have been stuck on this for a while, and obviously don't know what I'm
>> doing, any help would be appreciated. The program I am trying to run is
>> RRTM, an atmospheric modelling program available free at
>> (rtweb.aer.com/rrtm_frame.html )
>
> I can understand your confusion. I spent 5 minutes at the RRTM link you
> provided and could not find hide nor hair of anything remotely resembling
> documentation on how to build their software. I tried downloading one of
> the source tarballs and came up with a link connection error. Obviously,
> you were able to get beyond this and at least theoretically, you found
> some such documentation somewhere to describe something about a build
> process, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten as far as you did. So I can't
> tell you much about how to build this package. I can, however, tell you
> that:
>
>    1. Cygwin has no gmake command, only make.
>    2. Given 1, it's questionable that you're Cygwin environment, assuming
>       that's what you're using, is properly configured.
>    3. Your problems really sound like issues with the RRTM build process.
>       I'll hazard a guess that there aren't any RRTM experts or groupies
>       hanging out on this list so I'd say your best bet for help with
>       RRTM issues is the RRTM authors.

I forgot to add 2.5:
    If you actually need to cross-compile to get this built for Windows, then
    you can't cross-compile from Linux to Windows using Windows.  You have to
    be on Linux to do that work.  The result can then be used on Windows.

--
Larry