TMP and TEMP get redefined, but I need the original values

Roland Bluethgen calocybe@web.de
Sun Jun 12 20:50:00 GMT 2011

Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 12 June 2011 20:07, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 6/12/2011 1:55 PM, Roland Bluethgen wrote:
>>> But then, this modification would probably get
>>> overwritten the next time something is changed in that file on the
>>> distribution side.
>> No, it wouldn't get overwritten.  Your /etc/profile will only get
>> overwritten if it's unchanged from the default.
>
> That can be a problem in itself though, if you do want to benefit from
> any updates.

I agree. To benefit from distribution side updates and still retain user
side changes would require a merging operation on system update. FreeBSD
does it this way, it's rather complicated procedure.

> Therefore I think that the TMP/TEMP setting should go
> into /etc/profile.d/temp.sh or some such, so that it can be removed or
> modified without touching /etc/profile.

I'm not sure if it's so easy. The profile.d inclusion is performed
pretty far down in /etc/profile and a properly set up TMP might be
required before that point in the startup file.