fdisk on cygwin

PRASANTH RAJAGOPAL prasanthris@gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:54:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

I used to do run some commands on Cygwin, until I completely moved to
Linux based development. I have a situation where I thought Cygwin can
help me.

I need to partition an SDHC card. I have a SD slot in my Windows
laptop, but I dont have a good software to partition for boot and
linux. I have a SD Card reader that I could insert to Linux machine,
but it seems it has gone bad. I am not really familiar with
partitioning, but the commands from the relevant docs says I need to
use fdisk
(the web page is here http://omappedia.org/wiki/Minimal-FS_SD_Configuration).

required partitioning:

Device     Boot Start End  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1 *       1      9     72261    c   W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sde2         10    120  891607+ 83 Linux

If I read mails correctly, the cygwin-1.3.16-1 release has fdisk with
it (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg01300.html), but it
was ultimately removed, and perhaps we need to compile now. from
source. Now, I am not interested in code compilation for time being
(got to do with a lot of Linux kernel compilation now...); I might
just buy a cheap Card reader.

Questions (assuming cygwin fdisk can indeed help me partition the SDcard):

1. Is it true that cygwin-1.3.16-1 haD fdisk, if so where can I find
that older release setup.exe?
2. Is there a way I can get the package to the latest release without
compilation?

Thanks.