Version skew: Emacs 23.3-{1,2} vs cygwin1.dll/silent failure of emacs

John Kubiatowicz kubitron@cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 23 22:20:00 GMT 2011

On 6/23/2011 2:24 PM, John Kubiatowicz wrote:
> On 6/23/2011 12:24 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>
>> emacs-23.3-2 works fine for me with cygwin-1.7.9.
>>
>> A program failing silently is often a sign of a missing DLL.  Maybe
>> one of the dependencies of emacs didn't get installed.  Try 'cygcheck
>> /usr/bin/emacs' and see if it reports anything missing.
>>
>> Ken
> But the complaint that I was getting was of the missing
> _feinitialise().  And, the only thing I did to fix it was install
> cygwin-1.7.8 dll...
>
> I'm not near that machine now, but I will try what you suggest again
> later.  Perhaps it was 23.3-1 that had the problem, not 23.3-2.  Since
> both emacs' were failing silently, I assumed they both had the problem.
>
> Note that one of the post-install scripts failed with 1.7.9 as well
> (not with 1.7.8), so not really sure what is happening.
>
> More info later,
> --KUBI--

Ok.  Now I'm thoroughly confused.  All I did was install 1.7.9 cygwin
dll again. Emacs works.  Must have been a different dll that wasn't
being installed. So, if this problem recurs, I'll run cygcheck.

Sorry for the apparent false alarm.  Very weird.

The only thing that I can think of is that I may have upgraded from <
1.7.8 to 1.7.9 (i.e. upgraded past 1.7.8).  So, perhaps I gained some
dll that I was otherwise missing by downgrading to exactly 1.7.8 then
back up to 1.7.9?

--KUBI--

--
Professor John Kubiatowicz