ITP dos2unix 5.2.1-1

Erwin Waterlander waterlan@xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 17 15:50:00 GMT 2011

On 03/17/2011 02:32 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Dropped cygwin-apps.
>
> Erwin, you don't seem to understand the importance of not changing
> current behavior, when replacing existing apps.  I'm trying to point out
> (a) how little your proposed package actually differs from the current
> cygutils implementations, and (b) what needs to change to make the new
> version a drop-in replacement.
>
> Because that's what you're trying to do: make a drop in replacement.
>
> Regardless of whether some current behavior of cygutils-dos2unix is good
> or bad, CHANGE is worse -- since people have been relying on the current
> behavior for years.

Hi Chuck,

I do understand you very well, but I come from the other side. The
dos2unix that I packed and maintain is around on Unix/Linux since 1989.
I assume there are much more Linux users than Cygwin users. So I don't
want to break things on Linux. Since Cygwin tries to be Linux-alike, I
offer this package to the cygwin community. Personally I prefer to have
the same on Cygwin as on Linux. The cygwin community may have got used
to the current cygwin tailored implementation. But I bet there are many
cygwin users who also work on Linux, so there is a big chance they are
already familiar with the version I maintain.

Erwin