Migrating to windows 7

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Tue Mar 22 14:34:00 GMT 2011

Tod sent the following at Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:01 AM
>I've migrated to Win7 and basically just copied over my existing cygwin
>install over to the new drive. Things are working but my user account
>has changed so I'm getting an error saying my homedir is owned by
>someone else. I can still do work but I'd like to get this corrected.
>Can someone point me in the right direction?

I don't know but here are some guesses based on advice given by others
in the past.  (This is from memory - I have not searched the archives.)

My main guess is that when you copied C:\cygwin, the old file/directory
ownerships were copied.  It would be useful to know if
$ ls -ld ~
and
$ ls -l ~
lists your old user account or some intermediate (copying) user account
as owner(s).

If so, might something like the following work?
$ chown --recursive YOUR_NEW_USER_ACCOUNT ~
or
$ chown --recursive YOUR_NEW_USER_ACCOUNT /cygdrive/c/cygwin
Note:  I've no chown experience; use at your own risk.

Running mkpasswd and mkgroup again might help.
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup
etc.

Although this would affect the ownership problem, you might check
environmental variables inherited from Windows, especially CYGWIN,
are as they were on your old machine.
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-env.html

Good luck,