Emacs backgrounds itself

Ryan Johnson ryanjohn@ece.cmu.edu
Thu May 5 14:35:00 GMT 2011

Hi all,

Strange one here... I just updated emacs and a bunch of other packages,
and for some reason 'emacs -nw' now backgrounds itself immediately after
starting, and again each time I try to foreground it afterward. If I run
emacs-X11 directly (again, in -nw mode) it segfaults during startup, but
I haven't been able to catch it in the act using gcc (it seems to load
properly under gcc but keyboard handling is worthless). Cygcheck output
is attached.

I've tried running a home-built emacs-23.3.1 and it behaves the same
way; running the same home-built binary against an older install I
happened to have laying around works normally, so some library update
must be the culprit. To help narrow things down a bit, a diff of old vs.
new cygcheck outputs is also attached.

Any ideas?
Ryan